Research and Innovation
Conduct of high quality responsible and responsive research and innovation is one of the Key Results Areas identified in NM-AIST's Corporate Strategic Plan, and for which the institution wants to have appreciable impact. In addition to generating new knowledge, research and innovation at NM-AIST seeks to develop tangible products, industrial and business solutions to respective needs and problems, as well as policy briefs that will inform policy making.
The research and innovation activities at NM-AIST is guided by its Research and Innovation Policy which is designed to provide guidance to ensure proper conduct, and to develop capacity to generate new knowledge that will have strong impact on society and industry. The policy thus outlines a number of strategies and procedures for implementation. The NM-AIST Research and Innovation Policy also provides directions on a number of policy issues, policy statements and operational procedures. Download Reasearch and Innovation Policy.
Research and Innovation Agenda
In order to operationalize the Research and Innovation Policy, a Research and Innovation Agenda has also been developed, and approved by the NM-AIST Council. The R&I Agenda is aligned with the Tanzania National Development Vision 2025, national policies and strategies, as well as EA regional development strategies. In formulating the R&I Agenda cognizance has been taken of the fact that the main challenges Tanzania, and the rest of Africa, face in the coming years are related to rapid population increase and globalization of the world economy. Similar to all other SSA countries, the population of Tanzania is projected to grow fast reaching 129 million by 2050 from its current size of about 49 million. With such fast population growth, ensuring food and nutritional security, job creation for a population dominated by youth through promotion of industrial development, are challenges that need immediate attention. The R&I Agenda also takes into account the following:
- Increased agricultural and industrial productivity can only be ensured when workers are healthy and well fed. However, today many people in Africa suffer from one or the other type of diseases. This, in addition to affecting the health of workers and reducing their work efficiency, causes significant mortality and morbidity resulting in huge socio-economic crisis.
- Most diseases affecting millions of people in Africa (up to 60%) are communicable diseases that include malaria, tuberculosis, diarrheal diseases, HIV/AIDS, etc. Access to health services in most African countries is very limited and most clinics and hospitals are often overburdened with patients. Moreover, most hospitals and clinics face serious shortage of resources and lack access to modern technologies that could help them in patient management.
- In addition to individual health, environmental sustainability is another area that will have serious impact on sustainability of economic developments and the health of society.
- To sustain life and support industrial development, access to clean and safe water is considered vital. Water is also essential for agricultural practices, for both crop farming and animal husbandry. But Africa in general, and Eastern Africa in particular is a water stressed area calling for research and innovation in the sector. Water shortage often leads to conflicts among different populations. Therefore, issues related to governance are also important to be addressed.
To address the pressing societal needs and problems in Tanzania, the EA region and SSA generally, the following main research themes have been identified and formulated with prioritized sub-themes in a manner that facilitates multi-disciplinality:
- Agriculture, Food and Nutritional Security
- Harnessing of the Biodiversity of Nature and Eco-systems Management
- Human and Animal Health focusing on Eco Health
- Energy Security, and Management of the Environment for Safety and Sustainable Development
- Water Security and Sustainability
- Core and Applied Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Information sciences
By addressing these issues NM-AIST will contribute substantially to addressing the major problems Tanzania and SSA in general is facing today, namely, poverty. Download Research and Innovation Agenda.
Research and Innovation Projects
Current and ongoing research projects fall into two main categories, namely; those undertaken by teams involving NM-AISTians (staff and students) and others from collaborating institutions, and those undertaken by students solely as part of their dissertation- or thesis-work. Download the current Reasearch and Innovation Projects.